Before you hire a contractor for any home renovation project, it’s important to do your homework so you can rest assured the work will be done properly and safely. This is especially true for roof installations and repairs. We’ve compiled a brief list to help you narrow down your choices and settle on the best contractor for your home project needs.
1. IDENTIFY ROOFERS TO CONSIDER
Put together a list of potential contractors to handle your roofing project:
- Get local referrals from friends, family and neighbors. If possible, choose a contractor from your own community.
- Research ratings and reviews. Check out what other homeowners have to report on the contractors and their work.
- Check for manufacturer certifications.
2. NARROW DOWN YOUR CHOICES
Once you’ve compiled a list of potential contractors, put together some questions that you’ll want to ask each company before/during their consultation. You’ll want to make sure that any contractor you engage with meets the following criteria:
- Is properly insured & licensed
- Holds $1M+ liability insurance
- Offers worker’s compensation
- Is tate-licensed where required and applicable
- Is reputable and trustworthy with a track record of providing quality roofing services in your community
- Has a good standing with the Better Business Bureau
- Has a good credit rating per Experian
- Uses up-to-date on the latest technology and practices, ensuring expert installation
- Is GAF trained and certified
- Carries a workmanship warranty
3. MAKE YOUR DECISION!
Before you invite your top choices to your home for an estimate/consultation, it’ll be important to ask specific questions about your roofing installation to help guide you to your final decision. Consider these topics:
- How many shingle choices do you offer?
- Are the shingles listed by the brand and manufacturer’s name?
- What warranties can you offer?
Estimates and payment:
- Do you offer free estimates? (Reputable contractors should provide free estimates, but be sure to ask about this before agreeing to one.)
- Does the estimate list the exact product name and color?
- What are the payment terms? (It’s typical to pay one-third of the cost upfront. Be wary if anyone asks you to pay full price in advance.)
- How do you accept payment? (Reputable contractors should accept checks and/or credit cards. Be wary of anyone who only accepts cash.)
- How do I pay my insurance deductible? (Any contractor who claims they can handle the repair without you having to pay your insurance deductible may be committing insurance fraud and/or putting you at risk.)
Clean-up and inspection:
- Will you be conducting daily clean-up?
- How will you make sure my yard, home and property stay free from stray nails and other debris?
- Who will inspect the job? When will this inspection take place?
- Can you provide an overview of the schedule? How many days will the project take?
- What might cause possible delays in the schedule?
At Michael C. Graham & Son Roofing, Siding and Construction, we take pride in the work we do for all of our residential and commercial customers across Central New York and the surrounding areas. As you assess your roofing project, give us a call or email us for a free estimate.