Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home and a quality roof can last decades, but eventually it must be replaced.
Luckily, there are plenty of ways to tell if it’s time to replace your roof. Here are five warning signs that your roof needs to be replaced.
- Moisture is causing problems in your ceiling or attic. If your ceiling sags or the attic smells like mold, there is likely water damage inside. Moisture on the underside of your roofing material could indicate that it’s time for a replacement.
- When it rains or snows, you hear a banging sound. This can be caused by loose nails in shingles or flashing; loose fasteners; a problem with flashing around chimneys; or any number of other issues. Before your home’s structure and insulation are damaged further, these problems need to be addressed.
- The roof on your house is old. If you have an older home with asphalt shingles, then chances are good that you need a new roof. Asphalt shingles have a lifespan of about 15 years, so if yours are older than this, they might already need to be replaced.
- This one’s pretty obvious — if your roof is leaking, then it’s definitely time to replace it! In cases where there are just a few spots where water is getting in, these can be repaired quite easily by replacing some tiles or by resealing them with silicone caulk.
- Look at your roof from a distance. Does it appear gray or brown? Is there moss growing on it? Do you see bald spots where bits have fallen off? If so, then it may be time for a replacement.
By knowing the warning signs, you can replace your roof before it causes a drain on your wallet and your home’s charm.
Contact us to request a free estimate on your next roofing project.